Minecraft 1.8 Changes and Screenshots (Updated)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Minecraft 1.8 Changes and Screenshots (Updated)





I got the Minecraft 1.8 running now and decided to post some changes I have noticed so far. Unfortunately, I have been playing with Corocraft and Norsecraft texture packs on as of late so I might not notice all the changes that have taken effect.


There have been some bar additions and rearrangements. Your armor bar is not on top of your health bar and a food/meat bar has taken it's place. It seems when you lose health you have an auto-regen feature in place that replenishes your health when you are no longer being damaged in 1/2 heart increments. This is only possible if your food bar is not depleted.

New HUD additions
In fact, there have been alot of changes with food. When your food bar is depleting, you can eat more food to fill it back up and with that comes an eating animation. If your food bar is completely empty, you can starve to death. There are also more food types and food can finally be stacked as seen by the screenshots below. You can get raw chicken (from dead chickens) and raw beef (from dead cows) and rotten flesh from zombies. Both the raw chicken and beef can be cooked, but you can't cook rotten flesh. 
1. Cooked Chicken 2. Steak 3. Cooked Porkchop 4. Rotten Flesh
I'm not quite sure what that last, long, green bar is in your HUD at the time of this post. I do know that it filled up by little green orbs that dead mobs (aggressive or not) drops when you kill them. They seem to float towards you when you are somewhat close. When you max it out, it resets. I think this might be an experience bar of some sort, but I have maxed it out a couple times and nothing seems to happen, so this is likely a precursor for additions in future updates.


Orbs that fill green bar.
Another new function is a field of view adjuster found in the options menu. When you have it set at minimum that is the normal view and when you got it maxed it's called Quake Pro. A very appropriate title if you've played the two. If you haven't, it's basically a larger field of view with a slight fish eyed effect. Also, in the video options menu, you can now adjust brightness which is nice addition and I'm glad they finally put that in.


Normal mode (FOV minimum)
Quake Pro (FOV maxed)
The only new item I have found was the ender pearl. I found two of them just sitting on the beach, and not sure how they got there. I checked out the Minecraft Wiki page and wasn't able to find out much about them other than a possible a new mob, Enderman drops them. I can't confirm this though, as I havent even seen this new enemy type yet.
Ender Pearl
 If you've found any other changes in the game, give us a heads up and a screenshot if you can. I will keep updating this post as I can to experience more of the 1.8 patch, but right now it's time for me to study up for class.




Enderman (click the pic to enlarge)
UPDATE*


Got to fight the new mob Enderman. 
They are tall, lanky, black creatures that have unique powers. They walk around stacking blocks apparently and do drop Ender Pearls at death. As you can see they have the same purple effects that you would find near a Nether portal.


"Yea, I can transport.... What can you do?"
The most interesting quality about them though seem the ability to transport themselves around the map. I let one just walk into me and was damage free and when I turned around to find him I saw him like 20-30 blocks away from me all, apparently transporting across the water. I fought a couple others and found similar characteristics in that they would sometimes dodge a sword attack by transporting out of the way to try to attack me again. They were pretty easy to dispatch though, taking 3 diamond sword hits to fall. They also seem to be hurt by water as well. 




UPDATE 2*
Just finished going diamond mining (found 40-50 in about an hour) and realized that the debug tool has changed some. It still records your frames per second, and your position (x,y,z-coordinates), but the numbers that used to appear above all the AI's head has been removed. This used to be a great method when searching for food above ground and incredibly helpful in finding dungeons underground, but I suppose Notch found it to be a little too helpful.
 I'll continue to post updates as I find more to talk about.



0 comments:

Post a Comment